Monday, July 13, 2009

Happenings in the garden this month

Tomatoes are slow to grow here in Montana. Could be because the nights still can get down into the low 30's. Darn!
But if the deer don't find them we can still get a pretty good harvest from them before fall. So I am keeping a bit of deer netting over them during the night. Yes, the deer can be pretty sneaky. And even though the deer have no top teeth they still try to do as much damage to our plants as possible....and they usually succeed.

We have no idea what is going on with this years crop of peas. In all the years we have been planting them they have always produced white flowers that then develope into yummy pea pods. But this year they have produced flowers with beautiful color. It will be interesting to see what happens with the pretty colored ones. And fortunately there are still plenty of stalks with white flowers on them too.
Some of my flower pots have burst into bloom.....finally! These are very pretty red and orange snapdragons. One of my favorites.
Lot's of white color in this pretty pot.
And then there is my pink flowers in this large pot.
This is my first year in ages without a lot of Hosta plants around my yard. Apparently the 21 degrees below zero this last winter was just to much for them. I am sorry to see them go, they were all so beautiful in their own way. So all the large flower pots now hold plants with so much wonderful color. I am sure enjoying them this season.

3 comments:

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Lovely flowers girlfriend. Sorry we won't be in Montana to see you this year.

Rae said...

Beautiful photos! I love my garden, too, although I don't have much of a green thumb. My tomatoes are about the size of a ping pong ball and so far the deer have stayed away- (probably because of Samuel, my scarecrow). Are you sure you didn't plant Sweet Peas? Good luck with your harvest. I'm following your life adventures!

SquirrelQueen said...

Your flowers are so beautiful and the tomatoes look great.

My hostas didn't survive the winter too well, I only have one left and it looks pretty sad. We only got down to two below not nearly as cold as your area.

Copyright notice

All text, images and photographs, unless otherwise indicated, on this blog have been created by, and are the property of the blog owner. These images and words may not be copied, saved, reproduced in any form or distributed without written permission of the blog owner. Copyright 2015.